The St Johns parish church sits in a prominent position on the edge of an ancient oak common within the villages central conservation area and the design of the large extension had to respect both the sensitive location and the design of the existing red brick structure that dates from 1870.
The result was a design that continues the line of the existing nave in sympathetic brickwork with black mortar and real sandstone sills but with fenestration sufficient to ensure plenty of daylight for the extensions mix of new halls for church and community use, high quality teaching spaces, offices, a café and kitchen.
CPL Architects from Polegate, East Sussex, specified Crittall W20 windows in grey brown with Krypton/Xenon filled units. The use of W20 arch head windows with side hung openers and a mock Gothic glazing bar detail harmonised discretely with existing church building.
The project was completed within a period of eight months.